What we know about the Baltimore bridge collapse victims: Workers from Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras among missing

[ad_1]

BALTIMORE, Md. — Two bodies were recovered from a red pickup truck found in the water near the middle span of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge, Maryland State Police said during a press briefing Wednesday.

The two men were located by divers shortly before 10 a.m. Wednesday, according to Roland Butler Jr., superintendent for Maryland State Police. The truck was submerged in approximately 25 feet of water, he said.

Since the collapse, crews have been searching the water for six people who are now presumed dead.

The two victims found Wednesday were identified by police as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, a native of Mexico who lived in Baltimore, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, a native of Guatemala who lived in Dundalk. They were both construction workers, authorities said.

One was identified by a driver’s license in his pocket and the other by fingerprint, authorities said.

Other workers who remain unaccounted for are believed to be from Mexico and Honduras.

The workers were fixing potholes on the bridge when it plunged into the frigid water early Tuesday.

Two people were also pulled from the water on the morning of the collapse, including one who was hospitalized, according to officials. He has since been released from the hospital, according to ABC News.

A father of 3 who called Maryland home for 19 years

Miguel Luna, who was originally from El Salvador and was a married father of three children, and Maynor Suazo Sandoval, an immigrant from Honduras, according to Court Appointed Special Advocates, a group that works with immigrants.

RELATED: Officials stopped traffic onto Baltimore’s Key Bridge before collapse: ‘These people are heroes’

The group said Luna is a married father of three children, who has lived in Maryland for more than 19 years.

A father of 2 who juggled multiple jobs

Martin Suazo’s family called him early Tuesday with devastating news. His brother, 38-year-old Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, had been doing maintenance work on Key Bridge when it collapsed into the river, he told CNN.

At first, the family held out hope, believing that Suazo would be found alive, the brother said. But now they just hope his body can be recovered so the family can have some closure and give him a proper goodbye.

RELATED: How to manage your fears after Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Suazo is from Azacualpa, Santa Bárbara in Honduras but has been living in the United States for the last 18 years, his brother said. He is a married father of two – an 18-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter, Martin Suazo added.

He has been doing construction work but is also an entrepreneur who had started his own maintenance company. He ventured to the US in search of a better life, Martin Suazo said.

Suazo, who lives in Honduras, said his family is grateful for the support they have received from the FBI, the Honduran Embassy in Washington and the governor of Maryland, who has promised to do all he can to find and recover the bodies.

The family had been informed that the search was suspended Tuesday night due to the difficult weather conditions.

RELATED: NTSB combing through voyage-data recorder to build crash timeline in Baltimore bridge collapse

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said Tuesday, “We’re still fully committed to making sure that we’re going to use every single asset to now bring a sense of closure to the families.”

The conditions in the water, including low water temperatures and unpredictable currents, have made it dangerous for first responders, authorities said.

CNN contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2024 ABC News Internet Ventures.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *